Prescription Food Pantry
Battling food insecurity while preventing or aiding in the treatment of chronic disease.
In 2020, we served 10,859 individuals and 4,170 households.
Established in 2015, the Prescription Food Pantry provides free healthy food to families and individuals who are food insecure. Our Prescription Food Pantry emphasizes on the “healthy, medical” aspect of our pantry so we can better identify the nutritional needs of our patients. The aim of the food pantry is to improve food security, provide nutritious foods needed to have a healthy diet and prevent or aid in the treatment of chronic disease.
To receive food from the Prescription Food Pantry you must be a Community Health Alliance patient. Having a prescription from your primary care doctor is preferred but not required.
Location: 1055 S. Wells Ave. Reno, NV 89502 | Google Map
- Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (closed for lunch 12 – 1 p.m.)
- Saturday and Sunday: Closed
How to Get Involved
Community Health Alliance relies on volunteers to help us provide healthy food to families and individuals. Food pantry volunteers are needed to unload food shipments, organize pantry and stock shelves. Volunteers will also help pack grocery bags and help patients bring food to their car.
- Two shifts – the morning shift is 8 a.m. – 12 p.m., and the afternoon shift is 1 – 5 p.m.
- Must be between ages 18-59
- Contribute four or more hours a week
- Ability to lift 20-30 pounds
- Onboard with our HR department
- Being bilingual is a plus
Please Note: During the pandemic, we take the health and safety of our volunteers seriously. All volunteers are required to wear a face mask.
We are always looking for non-perishable items to be donated to our Prescription Food Pantry. If you are interested in hosting a food drive, please contact us.
- Dry beans
- Pasta/spaghetti – whole grain if possible
- Peanut butter
- Low sodium or heart-healthy canned food items
- Canned chicken or tuna – in water
- Canned fruit – preferably canned in juice rather than syrup, without added sugars
- Dried herbs and spices – parsley, mint, basil
- Brown bags