2022 SMART Goal Setting
New Year’s Goal Setting Tips
Every year, thousands of people set goals for their new year’s resolutions. Oftentimes, our personal goals fail because we set unrealistic goals or we do not set ourselves up for success. Below are some simple steps to set you up for success for your 2022 goals.
The best way to follow through with your goals is to make a plan.
- Identify your goal. Think about what you will need to make your goal happen and plan.
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses.
- Ask yourself, what are some ways I can use my strengths to cancel out my weaknesses?
- Ask yourself, how will I overcome these weaknesses when they arrive?
- Make a list of resources (people, places, things) that can help you when trouble appears.
- Write it down! According to Forbes, research shows that writing down your goal makes you 20 percent more likely to complete your goal.
Set SMART Goals
SMART stands for:
What is specific? Describe exactly what you want to do with as much detail as possible.
What is measurable? Measuring your progress will help you monitor changes and holds you accountable.
What is attainable? Make sure you have the tools to achieve your goals. If something is out of budget, revise and fine an alternative. For instance, a gym membership may be too expensive. Do you have a friend with a treadmill? Could you find a low-cost treadmill on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace?
What is relevant? Does your goal make sense to your desired outcome? For instance, setting a goal to avoid eating cake for a year may be helpful in lowering your sugar but it may not be the most relevant goal in terms of losing weight if that is your desired outcome.
What is timely? State when you will achieve your goal by. Setting a specific date can help with motivation and prioritization.
For example, “Beginning January 1, 2022, I will begin exercising 15 minutes a day for seven days and increase to 30 minutes by June 1 with a goal to lose 10 pounds by December 31, 2022.”
Try writing SMART goals for your 2022 goals!